Friday, February 24, 2012

Art at the Soo

After lunch we went to the Soo Visual Arts Center to see this show. I am glad we went. I found the paintings of the huge interior spaces the most interesting. It generated a lot of discussion between us but now I am not sure what to say, perhaps Mary R. will be more articulate. - Mary D.

Riiiiiight, articulate.
I have to confess up front that I'm not an art person. This a small gallery which is in some ways a relief since there's no chance of being overwhelmed. And there was plenty for Mary D and me to discuss, because very little in the way of context was given. The ten pieces in the show fell into what felt like three disparate themes, and that gave us a lot to chew on -- the artist certainly seemed to make some very deliberate choices in her works. Would I have better been able to understand both the show's description and the language of the pieces if I were more involved with the art world? If Mary D and I hadn't overheard the curator (?) talking to someone else about the show, we would likely still be floating around in headspace trying to make connections.

That's not to say there weren't things to enjoy about it, since a significant part of the overall theme seemed to be the non-art spaces at art installations and I like such non-standard perspectives. I was even inspired to look at the ceiling of the SooVAC and enjoyed it very much, photo to come by and by.

Does anyone out there know if "museal" is an actual word? And, if so, what it means? Please let us know. This show made me feel a little dense, to be honest. - Mary R.

1 comment:

  1. NOTE: Yep, apparently 'museal' is a real world, see the post on Feb 29....

    ReplyDelete